Professor of Physics
High-energy physics, strong and electroweak interactions
- B.S. University of Munich, 1982
- Ph.D. University of Munich, 1985
My research focuses on high-energy physics, in particular collider phyiscs.
For the past few years, I have concentrated on di-boson production; that is,
the production of WZ, W-photon, and Z-photon pairs (the W and Z
bosons are the carriers of the weak force) at the Tevatron Collider,
located at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (Fermilab) about forty
miles west of Chicago. The Tevatron collides protons and antiprotons at
a center of mass energy of 1,800 GeV.
Di-boson production is interesting since it opens new ways to test the
Glashow-Weinberg-Salam (GSW) model of electroweak interactions. The
GSW model is based on a non-abelian gauge theory with gauge group
SU(2)xU(1). Because of its gauge theory nature the GSW model exactly
predicts the self-interactions of W and Z bosons, and photons, and
these self-interactions can be tested in W and Z boson pair
In a series of research papers, I have reported on calculations of
these processes at leading order and next-to-leading order in
perturbation theory. Monte Carlo event generators have been made
available to experimenters which allow a realistic simulation of
di-boson production in Tevatron experiments. A few of these papers are
More recently I have become interested in how electroweak radiative
corrections and multiple photon radiation shift the experimentally
measured W and Z boson masses, and how the couplings of the top
quark can be measured at hadron colliders.
- Measuring top quark couplings at hadron colliders
- Electroweak correction to W production in hadronic collisions
- W-gamma-gamma production and anomalous WW-gamma-gamma couplings
- Probing the weak boson sector in ZZ production at hadron colliders
Some Recent Publications
- U. Baur, M. Buice, and L. Orr, "Direct measurement of the top quark
charge at hadron colliders," Phys. Rev. D64, 094019 (2001).
- U. Baur, S. Keller, and D. Wackeroth, "Electroweak radiative
corrections to W boson production in hadronic collisions,"
Phys. Rev. D59, 013002 (1999).
- U. Baur, S. Keller, and W.K. Sakumoto, "QED radiative corrections to
Z boson productin and the forward-backward asymmetry at hadron colliders,"
Phys. Rev. D57, 199 (1998).
- U. Baur, T. Han, and J. Ohnemus. QCD corrections and non-standard three
vector boson couplings in W+W-
production at hadron colliders.
Phys. Rev. D 53:1098 (1996).
- U. Baur and D. Zeppenfeld. Finite width effects and gauge invariance in
radiative W production and decay. Phys. Rev. Lett. 75:1002
Maintained by Physics Webmaster
Last Updated: October 10, 2003