Dr. Ulrich Baur
Professor, Ph.D. University of Munich (1985)
Office: 265 Fronczak Hall, (716) 645-5901
Ph.D. -- University of Munich (1985)
B.S. -- University of Munich (1982)
- Measuring top quark couplings at hadron colliders
- Electroweak corrections to W production in hadronic collisions
- W-gamma-gamma production and anomalous WW-gamma-gamma couplings
- Probing the weak boson sector in ZZ production at hadron colliders
My research focuses on high-energy physics, in particular collider
physics. For the past few years, I have concentrated on di-boson
production; that is, the production of WZ, W-photon, and Z-photon
pairs (the W and Z bosons are the carriers of the weak force) at the
Tevatron Collider, located at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
(Fermilab) about forty miles west of Chicago. The Tevatron collides
protons and antiprotons at a center of mass energy of 1800 GeV.
Di-boson production is interesting because it opens new ways to
test the Glashow-Weinberg-Salam (GWS) model of electroweak
interactions. The GWS model is based on a nonabelian gauge theory
with gauge group SU(2)xU(1). Because of its gauge theory nature,
the GWS model exactly predicts the self-interactions of W and Z
bosons and photons, and these self-interactions can be tested in W
and Z boson pair production.
In a series of research papers, I have reported on calculations of
these processes at leading order and next-to-leading order in
perturbation theory. Monte Carlo event generators have been made
available to experimenters, which allow a realistic simulation of di-
boson production in Tevatron experiments. A few of these papers are
listed at right.
More recently, I have become interested in how electroweak
radiative corrections and multiple photon radiation shift the
experimentally measured W and Z boson masses, and how the
couplings of the top quark can be measured at hadron colliders.
- "Direct Measurement of the top quark charge at hadron colliders", U.Baur, M. Buice, and L. Orr, Phys. Rev. D64, 094019 (2001).
- "Electroweak radiative corrections to W boson production in hadronic collisions", U. Baur, S. Keller, and D. Wackeroth, Phys. Rev. D59, 013002 (1999)
- "QED radiative correction to Z boson production and the forward-backward asymmetry at hadron colliders", U. Baur, S. Keller, and W. K. Sakumoto, Phys. Rev. D57, 199 (1998).
- "QCD corrections and nonstandard three vector boson couplings in W+W- production at hadron colliders", U. Baur, T. Han, and J. Ohnemus, Phys. Rev. D53, 1098 (1996).
- "Finite width effects and gauge invariance in radiative W production and decay", U. Baur and D. Zeppenfeld, Phys. Rev. Lett. 75, 1002 (1995)